This was a productive year for horror with standout films, pleasant surprises, and some films that seemed promising but ended up being stinkers.
Here is my ranking of my top ten favorites:
10. Megan – A film about a dancing killer android had no business being as good as it was. But it gave us some awesome kills, and had a great story along with it. Another one that surprised me with how good it actually was.
9. Insidious: The Red Door – The movie reunites us back with the Lambert family with them being plagued again with the evil presence of the Further. It continued to show why this franchise does so well in giving us actually scary moments that will have you leaving the light on well after viewing.
8. Thanksgiving – I was pleasantly surprised with how good this one actually was. A pretty solid slasher film and that opening is so brutally realistic.
7. Malum – As a reimagining of Last Shift, I did like this one better. It has more story, more gore, and some pretty creepy demons.
6. Evil Dead Rise – Taking place in an apartment building, this next entry in the Evil Dead franchise showed how no one was safe when the Necronomicon shows up to plague a family with its evil. Very goretastic and gave us another unassuming heroine to cheer for.
5. V/H/S 85 – Just when you think this anthology series has hit its peak, it presents us with film full of great stories and a wrap-around that actually makes sense. It immediately got a greenlight for a new entry that will take place in space!!
4. Cobweb – I absolutely loved this film with its Halloween theme and presenting us a different kind of monster. Another entry about monsters born from family and this one comes about in a way you won’t expect.
3. Where The Devil Roams – The Adams presents us their darkest tale yet about family and how far one will go to protect that. Very highly recommend.
2. When Evil Lurks – This one did everything right with world building as well as having some pretty brutal moments. I can fairly say you won’t feel the same again after watching this one
1. Talk To Me – This film did well in presenting visceral scare moments and very unnerving sequences. Very much the best horror film of 2023 for me
Honorable mentions: Sick, Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor, Infinity Pool, Slotherhouse, Scream VI, Skinamarink
Dishonorable mentions: The Knock at The Cabin, Exorcist Believer, The Outwaters(WTF was that?)
What do you think? Do you agree, disagree? Anything I missed? Let us know in the comments.
Stay tuned for the list from Mike!
Till next time, stay scared!
Your source for everything horror